Wednesday 25 April 2018

Plein air in the cold in Bath


I have just returned from a short week painting in the Algarve in Portugal - pure bliss. It will probably take me a couple of weeks to assess and photograph all my paintings so until then, I thought I'd post a few paintings I have done during this winter in Bath... 

Below, first time back outdoors in months - a painting done at my favourite spot - the local allotments 5 minutes walk from my house in Bath. It was really cold and windy and it took me longer to get prepared and dressed in 50 layers than to actual paint the picture. I looked like the Michelin man with all my jumpers and coats but I managed to stay warm and enjoyed every brushstroke!


Bath from the allotments, cold February morning  10"x8"  oil on board


After about 20 minutes


Half way through

Towards the end



Detail of the finished painting


Detailed of the finished painting


I managed to squeeze an other little 5"x7" oil sketch before I had to head home. What caught my eye was the beautiful sunlit view of the hills contrasting with the dark foreground.

The allotments, cold February morning  5"x7"  oil on board
Available here



The view on the day


Detail of the finished painting



A couple of weeks later I headed to Widcombe in Bath to paint the lovely view by the canal. This scene would normally be almost 'too pretty' for my taste so I made a point of painting it with fresh spontaneous brushstrokes to keep it interesting. It was once again very cold and windy so it probably helped me working quickly before I froze on the spot!


Widcombe on a cold winter morning  10"x12"  oil on board




Quick initial drawing


Blocking the shapes in


All shapes are in - time to add the details


Towards the end


Detail of the finished painting


Detail of the finished painting


A few weeks after, the snow finally came to Bath - first time in years. 


My street in the snow


I managed to escape the house for a couple of hours to paint the snow at my local allotments.
Again, temperatures were quite low so I had to capture things quickly. It started raining as I was painting this so I ended up with an umbrella in one hand and brushes in the other (oo nooo... no more hands free for snacking!). I wish I could have painted more in the snow but the next day it had all melted...

Bath in the snow from Oldfield Park  10"x8"  oil on board - SOLD


Detail of the finished painting

My set up



I will be busy in the next few days finishing a commission and photographing my Portugal paintings. Here is a little preview for you until I get around to post them all here... watch this space!




Don't forget - you can follow me on

Instagram www.instagram.com/valeriepirlotart/

Facebook www.facebook.com/valeriepirlotart/

And sign up to my newsletter here:
http://www.valeriepirlot.com/mailinglist

And all my available paintings are here:
http://www.valeriepirlot.com/availablepaintings

No comments:

Post a Comment