Thursday 5 January 2012

Natural Arch, Mackinac Island

As this is my first post of the year, let me all wish you a very Happy New Year and thank you for visiting my blog and leaving lovely comments last year. I'm posting here a small painting I did in December from a photograph I saw in a friend's album on Facebook (with approval of course). I usually like painting landscapes from life but I also like to do little studies from photographs to work a specific concept and colour palette:

Natural Arch, Mackinac Island  5"x7"  oil on board

Here is the original photograph taken on Mackinac Island  - I love the way the view is framed by the rocks. The sea has beautiful colours you don't see often on english shores.

photograph © Keonne Rodriguez

detail

5 comments:

  1. Happy New year to you. I've done a bit of painting and a lot of sculpting, it is good to start the year doing what you love. Is it warm enough to paint out doors in your area?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Valerie.
    You have done a cracking job of this scene, mind you, you always do with your subjects. I love it. Well done and a Happy new Year to you and yours. All the best Valerie.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Douglas, it's not too cold here so painting outside is an option but it has been raining a lot lately.

    Thanks Vic for the lovely comment. I wish you a great painting year in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie! I never saw that you did this, this is beautiful!

    And so you know the sea is actually a lake! Lake Huron.

    I absolutely love it, thanks for painting it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Keonne! Glad you like it! Good to have the details about the Lake too. Looking forward to seeing more pictures from you that I could use in the future! :-)

    ReplyDelete