Sunday 3 July 2016

Clouds, sheep and boats

Here are a couple of paintings done in plein air in the countryside between Trowbridge and Bradford on Avon a few weeks ago. These outings have become rather rare lately because it is getting harder to carry my painting kit at the same time as my ever growing baby belly, not to mention the risk of breaking my chair! I would love to say I'm being inspired by this pregnancy and doing some interesting studio self portraits, but the truth is I'm spending my evenings instead watching the sound of music and eating chocolate... Still, the optimistic person I am just thought it was the perfect time to buy a new easel so I will do my best to use it before the new arrival end of next month...

For the first painting below, I wanted to use big bold strokes and keep things very simple, using the minimum amount of marks possible. I had fun painting the clouds and suggesting the sheep with a few brushstrokes.


Clouds and sheep, near Bradford on Avon  10"x12"  oil on board 


The painting towards the end

A few close up details below:

Detail


Detail



Below is my second painting of the day, done just a few minutes drive from the first painting location. What caught my eyes was the variety of greens and the light piercing through the trees and hitting the roofs of the boats.

Narrow boats near Bradford on Avon   10"x8"  oil on  board


As you can see below I like to live life dangerously as I was painting pretty close to the edge. Anybody that didn't like my painting could have sent me in the water with one push!



The painting towards the end


Detail

Detail




6 comments:

  1. Valerie, I love your work. Love the energetic, simple, bold brushwork. "Clouds and Sheep" is so wonderful. Guy Jackson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Guy for your kind comment! I also like best when I keep my work simple. Sometimes it is more evocative when things are just kept to the essence of the subject...

      Delete
  2. Wonderful!!

    But there is something wrong with the narrowboat behind you isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you René! And yes, that boat behind me is not looking good is it?? :-)

      Delete
  3. Your paintings are really beautiful! Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete