Wednesday 30 November 2011

Peacock

For once I wanted to do something else than landscapes. I had a photograph of a peacock I took years ago and I've always been attracted to the beautiful turquoise and golden feathers contrasting with the dark green plumage. I did this painting in once session:

Peacock    10"x8"   oil on board

My trick to make the light touches stand out was to paint first my background in a dark brown colour, so everything you paint over that will look so much lighter than if you paint on a light background. I tried not to overdo it and only suggested the feathers and accentuated the ones in the light areas.

Detail

The original reference photograph had been on the wall of my studio for years as a source of inspiration and I suddenly decided to give it a try:



I think this is the type of painting that is worth looking at in a frame to contain all the things going on:



I really enjoyed painting this one and might be tempted to try an other peacock painting now.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice peacock detail!
    Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Now that is a challenge and a great excercise - How to paint 'Iradescence' - and you've risen to the occasion. I really like this and look forward to seeing the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite thing about this is how you cropped it. Painting from photos is a great activity for winter when you can't paint outdoors. I've been busy getting over pneumonia, and then putting up my Christmas lights and tree, but finally was able to do some more sculpting and painting, now I need to post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Antonio, Andrew and Doug! I'll do an other one when I get a chance. Sorry to hear about your health Doug but glad you are better now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tips om hier een goedkoop nike air max schoenen exemplaar te kopen. Replica horloge Nederland Mensen zoeken veel op internet naar schoenen, dus het is gemakkelijk om een goede deal te kopen. nike air max replica Er zijn veel replica's van bekende designermerken te goedkoop air max 270 koop en we kunnen er zeker van zijn dat ze van hoge kwaliteit en goed zijn.

    ReplyDelete